Sunday, January 18, 2009

In the end...

I am knee-deep in The Perks of Being A Wallflower and it's as fantastic as everyone's always said. Normally I HATE references to The Catcher in the Rye or Holden Caulfield. Every new, different, or edgy book uses that reference. Just because it's a book about teens DOES NOT MEAN THE AUTHOR IS THE NEW SALINGER. That being said, this is one of those very rare and few books (and by rare and few I mean the only) that merits that comparison. It is Salingeresque with some Holden mannerisms while holding its own instead of trying to be a rip off of his work. I love it so far.

Earlier tonight my mom wanted to get out of the house so we decided to go to the movies. She chose Marley & Me and oh gosh. It was a fantastic idea to see that movie while simultaneously THE WORST IDEA EVER. I hadn't cried that hard in such a long time. My eyes got red and puffy and swollen. I had to stifle my sobs which subsequently sounded like choking. I don't know if you guys know this, most of the people reading this met me after the fact, but I used to have a dog. He was the most wonderful, loving, playful, AMAZING dog in the world. His name was Oliver and I had him since the day I was born till I was 16. I loved him with all my heart and he will forever be my first pet. At the end of the movie when Marley was going I remembered it all. That's exactly how Oliver was, he couldn't even move and his hearing was going. I think I was the only one besides my Dad who got to say bye to him. The day my Dad took him in to be put down I went out and talked to him and pet him and cried with him and said goodbye. He was fantastic and nobody could ever take his place in my heart. He was a big mutt, primarily German Shepard and was better than anything I could ever ask for. He was a better companion than most people. I don't tend to get emotional over people, but show me an animal in distress and I completely lose it. The movie helped me remember Oliver and it was nice to remember him, even if it brought up those painfully sad last few months together. Goddamn these cycles of life, but life is beautiful and I think even Oliver knew that.


the love you take is equal to the love you make.
-The Beatles "The End"

3 comments:

shelana said...

i knew you then. how weird is that?

nicole. said...

dude we've been friends for like four years. it feels like i met you just yesterday, and if by just yesterday i meant when i was born then yes. it was just yesterday.

Nor said...

that is the best book ever.

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com : Header Image by Roctopus